Thomas's Forgotten Realms
House Rules - Bonds
Fellowship Bonds establish PC relationships between characters from the start of the game. Bonds are what make you a party of adventurers, not just a random assortment of people. They’re the feelings, thoughts, and shared history that tie you together. You will always have at least one bond, and you’ll often have more. Each bond is a simple statement that relates your character to another player character. .
At the end of each session you may resolve one bond. Resolution of a bond depends on both you and the player of the character you share the bond with: you suggest that the bond has been resolved and, if they agree, it is. A bond is resolved when it no longer describes how you relate to that character. That may be because circumstances have changed—Thelian used to have your back but after he abandoned you to the goblins, you’re not so sure. Or it could be because that’s no longer a question—you guided Wesley before and he owed you, but he paid that debt when he saved your life with a well-timed spell.
You write a new bond whenever you resolve an old one. Your new bond may be with the same character, but it doesn’t have to be. When you resolve a bond, you also get a (DM chosen) bonus.
PCs start with two Fellowship Bonds – these can be choosen from below, or custom written with another PC.
- I have sworn to protect (PC).
- (PC) broke up a fight I was involved in. I was probably going to lose, but they don’t need to know that part.
- (PC) and I are regular training partners.
- This is not my first adventure with (PC). .
- I sang stories of (PC) long before I ever met them in person.
- I am writing a ballad about the adventures of (PC). .
- (PC) trusted me with a secret.
- (PC) is in constant danger, I will keep them safe.
- The spirits spoke to me of a great danger that follows (PC). .
- I have showed (PC) a secret rite.
- (PC) has stood by me in battle and can be trusted completely.
- (PC) knows incriminating details about me.
- (PC) is the first person I met here, in this strange new city.
- (PC) saved me from certain doom, and I must repay them.
- (PC) was a faithful friend when I had nothing.
- (PC) has been a friend to me when others were prejudiced.
- I must protect (PC) so they can help me with my work. They understand it.
- I have guided (PC) before and they owe me for it.
- (PC) will play an important role in the events to come. I have foreseen it!
- (PC) has much to teach me about _______.
- I have wiped away a secret past and started a new life. (PC) knows the details of my your past self.
- I have known (PC) since childhood.
- I once saved the life of (PC)'s relative.
- I've seen (PC) make an enormous personal sacrifice to benefit (another PC), but the beneficiary does not know.
Note: Bonds are based on mechanics taken from Apocalypse World + Dungeon World.
Note: Bonds may grant you a bonus (advantage, + to dice roll, or somesuch) when persued as part of game play.